Studies on the Sudan has a long tradition and forms an important part of Middle Eastern and African studies at Bergen. Among the events and resources for such research are:
R.S. O'Fahey, The Darfur Sultanate: A History. London: Hurst 2008.
This book presents an analytical narrative of Darfur, from the beginnings of its recorded history onwards. This work focuses on three themes: Darfur's complex history and its equally complex ethnic and ecological issues. It covers various phases of Darfur's history - under the sultans (1650-1916), under the British (1916-56) and since independence (1956).
- On 13 June 2008, Elena Vezzadini successfully defended her Ph.D. thesis, "The 1924 Revolution; Hegemony, Resistence and Nationalism in the Colonial Sudan"
Lectures and seminars
- 23.10.08: Jerôme Tubiana (Paris), "Chad, Another Darfur? Links between Two Crises", & "Darfur, Chad: Humanitarianism Challenged"
- 24.9.08: Munzoul A.M. Assal (Khartoum), "The National Congress Party and the Darfur Crisis
- 24.9.08: Kassahun Berhanu Alemu (Addis Ababa), "Abyei: The Achilles Heel of Peace in Sudan"
- 11.6.08: Endre Stiansen (PRIO, Oslo), "International, National or Something in Between? The Assessment and Evaluation Commission of the Sudan's Comprehensive Peace Agreement."
- 5.2.08: Samah H. Abd Alghaffar (Khartoum): "Political Transformation in Eastern
Sudan: The Beja Congress in Kassala and Gedarif States",
Azza Mustafa Babikir Ahmed (Khartoum), "The Beja Congress and their struggle
against marginalization", and
Rasha Abdelhafeez (Khartoum), "NGO's intervention in Eastern Sudan: The
Case of Kassala State".
- 16.1.08: Guma Kunda and Enrico Ille (Halle), "Land-Based Conflicts in the Nuba Mountains.
- 10-11.5.07: Workshop: Sudan - the colonial experience. Lectures by Fadwa Taha (Khartoum), Randi Håland (Bergen), Salah M. Ahmad
(Khartoum), Irma Taddia (Bologna), Massimo Zaccharia (Pavia).
- On 6-8 April 2006, the 7th International Sudan Studies conference was held in Bergen, with the theme: "Fifty Years After Independence: Sudan's Quest for Peace, Stability and Identity"
Recent master theses
* = in Norwegian
- Agnes Rokkan, '(Indirect rule and the tribal system of south-central Sudan)' (History, 2008)
- Ida Dyrkorn Heierland, 'Artifacts, Interests and Agencies: The Politics of Sudan Archaeology' (Archaeology, 2008)
- Marte Teie Hellum: 'Who are you? Self-consciousness: certainty and incertainty in the Nuba Mountains, Sudan' (2007, Anthropology) *
- Marit Vambheim, 'Peace-making in the southern Sudanese civil war, 1965-66' (History, 2007)
- Mahmoud Suliman Beshir, 'Iron objects from Meroitic and Post-Meroitic periods discussion on chronology, contexts and rituals' (Archaeology, 2006)
- Ghefari Fadlallh Elsayed: 'The politics
of Difference and Boundary Making among the Nuba and the Baggara of
Southern Kordofan State, Sudan' (2006, Anthropology)
- Gunnar Thune, 'The inspector general: the career of Baron Sir Rudolf von Slatin Pasha in the Sudan' (History, 2005)
- Liv Tønnessen, 'Islamism and democracy: an inquiry into the political thought of the Sudanese Islamist Hassan al-Turabi' (Political Science, 2005)
- Håkon Taule Njøs, 'Unity
of the Nile valley or an independent Sudan? British-Egyptian conflicts
and Sudan's path to independence 1936-1956' (History, 2004) *
(page under construction)