Friday November 8, 2013
From the head of department
We would like thank Øystein Olsen who recently retired from his position, for his years long efforts as the leader of examination committee at the department. This is an important and meticulous work that requires all members in the committee to respond promptly to all requests. At the same time, we would like to thank Bjørn Arntzen for taking over this important task as the leader of the examination committee.
Have a good weekend,
News and general information
IFT open seminar
All are welcome to an open seminar where Dieter Röhrich will be giving a lecture:
Friday, November 15 at 14:15, Auditorium B. Coffee, tea and cakes from 14:00.
Remember also this week's open seminar with Per Osland!
New leader of the examination committee
Bjørn J. Arntzen is the new leader of the examination committee at the department, and has taken over Øystein Olsen's duties. When planning an MSc thesis examination, all thesis supervisors need to send an email to Bjørn J. Arntzen:
- Name of the candidate
- Title of the MSc thesis
- Name of external examiners and the examiners' email-addresses
- Planned exam date
- Information on co-supervisors
Phasing out of «Windows XP» at UiB
During the fall of 2014, Microsoft will stop providing support on the Windows XP OS. This means that the IT-department can no longer offer XP-driven client machines. All existing XP machines must be replaced or reinstalled with Windows 7. You can read more on this here.
Secret services from the IT-department
Some of the services offered by the IT-department are not very well known. Here you can find information about some of these services that are offered to both students and employees:
· Forms - you can create your own online-forms (registration forms, feedback forms, evaluation forms)
· Wordpress (blog) – you can get your own Wordpress instanc, often referred to as «blog» where you simply publish information on the web.
· Wiki – you get a Wiki, where you can write text based articles together with others, the same as in Wikipedia. The information can be open or closed.
· LAMP (also called «self hosted solution») LAMP = Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP: This is for advanced users who also know what they need. We create an area and MySQL database. The rest is done by you. We set requirements for both security and protection against email spam.
H-bar is open every Friday 19.00-01.00.
On Tuesdays, every even numbered week, there will be pub-lectures at the H-bar. More info on H-bar's facebook pages.
H-bar is run by the Scientific Committee and is primarily for students – employees are also welcome!
Institutt for fysikk og