The Arabic Mac
Files to download
We have collected
here various freeware and shareware software items related to Arabic on
Macintosh. They include some fonts for transliterating Arabic script in
Latin letters (the Jaghbub package),
some related to email and non-European and European languages (the "EudoraTables
Emporium"), as well as various tools for the Arabic script itself
(these latter mainly Classic). All programs are to be used only as specified
by the licence agreement. For the shareware items we have included here,
please be solidaric and pay your shareware fee - in that way we can induce
the authors to continue providing useful software on the net.
Much of the material here relate to the Mac Classic / OS 9 or earlier.
I have divided this survey, so that the software relevant for OS X is
listed first - that includes the Jaghbub package and EudoraTables primarily
- and those only relevant for Classic later.
Software for Macintosh OS X:
These are fonts made by me on the basis of standard Mac fonts for
writing transliterations of Arabic, Persian and Turkish letters in Latin (English) characters. Read the Jaghbub
page for details. These are all in TrueType format, the Mac fonts as suitcases, the PC version as individual ttf files.
The Jaghbub fonts
There are two sets of these, the Jaghbub "Classic"
fonts, which work under both OS X, all applications, and under OS 9 /
Classic, and JaghbUni [Jaghbub Unicode] which work only
under OS X Unicode-based applications. Both packages include fonts based
on Times, Palatino and Helvetica (Jaghbub, Koufra and Bairut) and keyboard
layouts suitable to each package.
For extra Jaghbub tools for Classic/OS 9 only, see below
- The Jaghbub package is the Classic + OS
X fonts (588K).
- The JaghbUni package is the Unicode version
- Jaghbub additions is a folder with extra
keyboard layouts, tools for converting files from "Classic"
Jaghbub to Unicode etc. (523K).
- Jaghbub Truetype is the Jaghbub package
in PC ttf format, suitable for installing on a Windows PC. It follows
the "Classic" Jaghbub standard, and contains a tool for typing it in
Word Windows (451K).
- JaghbUni Truetype is the JaghbUni package
in PC ttf format (547K).
The Jaghbub Additions folder also contains keyboard layouts for typing IPA characters in full Unicode fonts, such as Lucida Grande and others.
Macros for Unicode conversions
A set of macros, for NisusWriter Pro and Microsoft Word 2004, that convert Arabic and Semitic transliteration characters contained in some 35-40 old-style "legacy fonts", for Mac or Windows, to their Unicode equivalents.
See the introduction for explanation and installation instructions, and details of the fonts covered in the conversion files.
- The ConvertsNisus is the set of macros for NisusWriter Pro (99K).
- The ConvertsWord is the set of macros for Microsoft Word 2004 (303K).
- The ConvertsXTNisus is the set of macros for NisusWriter Pro, including "private area" characters of Titus Cyberbit/TimesTL fonts (77K).
- The ConvertsXTWord is the set of macros for Microsoft Word 2004, including "private area" characters of Titus Cyberbit/TimesTL fonts (242K).
The EudoraTables Emporium
A set of EudoraTables plug-in files for various European and non-European
languages. See the introduction for detail:
- Eudora Middle East Tables.(85K)
A plug-in that lets Eudora translate email messages in Arabic, Persian,
Hebrew and Turkish to/from various network, IBM and Windows standards
to the respective Mac system. Includes also West and Northern European
- Eudora Asian Tables.(43K)
A plug-in that lets Eudora exchange email messages in Chinese, Japanese,
Korean and Thai to/from various network, IBM and Windows standards to
the respective Mac system. Includes also West and Northern European
- Eudora South, Central and
Eastern European Tables.(255K) A set of plug-ins that lets Eudora
exchange email messages in Greek, Central European and Cyrillic languages
to/from various network, IBM and Windows standards to the respective
Mac system. Includes also West and Northern European scripts.
Software for Classic / OS 9:
Here are some tools for users of Arabic Mac, discussed in the relevant files on the Arabic pages:
For the Arabic script
Text file convertors
These small drag-and-drop program-lets, or "paradoids", convert text-only files between various Arabic formats. Use: Drop a text-only file on top of the utility╝s icon, and it will convert the text into a new file suffixed ".PD". They come in four packages:
- Arabic Windows to Mac Arabic. (68K) Translate Arabic text files written in Arabic Windows format to Mac Arabic (and the reverse). Includes these convertors:
- WinArabic -> Mac Arabic. -- For files with Arabic-only text
- WinMix -> MacArabic -- For files with both Arabic and English text
- MacArabic -> WinArabic. Translate from MacArabic text files to Arabic Windows.
- WinArabic -> MacArabic/rtf -- For formatted files in RTF format
- MacArabic -> WinArabic/rtf
Check the DOS to Mac Arabic page. See below for the Paradigma program, with which these convertor programlets were crated.
- Arabic DOS to Mac Arabic.(51K) Translate Arabic text files written in Arabic DOS (CP 864) format to Mac Arabic. Includes these convertors:
- DOSArabic -> MacArabic -- For files with Arabic-only text
- DOSMix -> MacArabic -- For files with both Arabic and English text
- DOSArabic-MacArabic/rtf -- For formatted files in RTF format
Check the DOS to Mac Arabic page.
- Network standards to Mac Arabic. (43K) Includes these two convertors:
- ASMO 449 -> MacArabic. Translates files from 7bit Arabic to Mac Arabic.
- ISO 8859-1/6 -> MacArabic. Translates Arabic files that may have been mangled in e-mail into proper Arabic.
Check the non-English languages page.
- Al-Kaatib(Mac) to Mac Arabic. (43K) Translates old al-Kaatib files to the current Mac Arabic system. Includes these two convertors:
- Kaatib1.0 -> MacArabic
- Kaatib1.3 -> MacArabic
Check the Kaatib page
Mac - Windows Arabic convertors for the PC
- Mac to WinArabic on a PC. These are the only tools on these pages that do not run on a Mac. It is a set of utilities written by Tim Buckwalter to read Arabic texts from a Mac on a Windows machine.
Other programs for Arabic
Here are some shareware wordprocessors / text editors that work with Arabic, as well as a couple of other useful small programs.
Paradigma 2.0 is a tool for systematic changing of characters in text files, the one in which the convertors above were made with.(54K).
(Notice that the Arabic system resources that previously were stored on this server now has been removed, at the request of Apple, as Apple is now selling these in the Arabic Language Kit. See the Arabic Introduction.)
- WordSolution (276K).
Tex-Edit Plus (222K).
(This is a specially modified version, fixing a bug in 1.6.x that made it unusable with Arabic.)
Minaret is a program to calculate prayer times; but also translates dates between Hijra and CE calendar (58K).
Taqwim is another calendar program(42K).
Jaghbub Classic only additions
In addition to the updated OS X-compatible fonts, there are also some bit-map
only fonts following the same standard, which will not print in OS X (and
not even display in Unicode applications), but will work in Classic. Also
some tools related to Jaghbub that will only work in Classic / OS 9.
- Jaghbub.related. Four bitmaps
only fonts following the Jaghbub "Classic" standard, Courier,
New York, Geneva, Monaco D (62K).
- Jaghbub.xtras. Sorting resources
related to the Jaghbub fonts (112K). Contains the following:
- Sorting resource for Jaghbub diacritics in System 6 and lower
- Sorting resource for Jaghbub diacrtiics in FileMaker Pro
- "Old-style" transliteration tables for Netscape 2.0
- Keyboards contains US, UK, French, Italian,
German and Danish keyboard layouts (28K).
- JaghbConvert (119K) Various programlets
("paradoids" that convert text fils to and from the Jaghbub fonts' character
system. Includes convrtors:
- MidEast Times -> Jaghbub for plain-text files
- MidEast Times -> Jaghbub for RTF files
- ME Geneva format to Jaghbub (plain-text).
- Library of Congress diacritics (e.g. from the Melvyl catalogue)
- RemoveDiacs: replaces diacritics with non-diacritic letters, plain-text.
- RemoveDiacs/rtf: replaces diacritics, for RTF-files.
- Jaghbub rtf -> HTML. Replaces diacritics with HTML codes
- Jaghbub <-> Arabic. Three convertors between Jaghbub transliteration
to and from Arabic script.
- YA NewsWatcher Tables.(28K) A set of plug-in files that allow reading Usenet News in Arabic, Hebrew and Persian (as well as Sámi and IBM CP-850 articles), when using the "Yet Another Newswatcher" program.