We have stored all submitted papers from the Nordic conferences on this server. It is a proceedings archive, that is that we are storing for posterity the original papers as they were delivered at the conference. That is, in a similar way to when printed paper is handed out at the conference. This must be emphasized, since many of these papers have later become edited articles in our own or other publications. We have added a rider to every paper that has a later, edited version, but for archival reasons are still maintaining the original version here. However, we ask all who access this archive to respect the wishes of the author and not quote from a paper here if there is a comment to that effect at the head of the paper, or a note saying the paper is published elsewhere. Papers that were later published in a conference volume from the Nordic Society are marked by an *asterisk.
Third Nordic conference: Joensuu, Finland, 19-22.6 1995
Ethnic encounter and culture change
The Mediterranean and beyond
- Pekka Masonen, Tampere, 'The Trans-Saharan contacts and their influence in Western Africa before the 15th Century'. *
- Dag Jørund Lønning, Bergen, 'Israeli ways of conceptualising the enemy and implications for Israeli-Palestinian grassroots dialogue' *.
- Haseeb Shehadeh, Helsinki, 'The Hebrew of the Palestinian Arabs'. *
- Tapani Harviainen, Helsinki, 'Signs of new life in Karaim communities'. *
- Robert Landa, Moskva, 'Les musulmans dans l'histoire de la Russie'. *
- Sadri Bensmaïl, Paris, 'La ville comme lieu du changement des pratiques et représentation idéologique. Dialogue et affrontement interculturels en Algérie'. *
- Olga Frolova, St. Petersburg, About the ethnic name "Burdjan"in Arabic geographical works.
Western views on the Middle East
The Arabs and foreignhood
Nation states and society
Islam in society
Contemporary history and economy
Arabic Literature & language
Turkish communities in Turkey, Europe and Central Asia
Water resources in the Middle East - historical, political and economic aspects
Fourth Nordic conference: Oslo, Norway, 13-16.8 1998
The Middle East in a Globalizing World
Cultural and political identity in the era of globalization
Media revolution: The Middle East culturally globalized?
Towards a global vision of Islam: New formulations in the Diaspora
Socio-economic aspects of globalisation
Who is shaping the Middle East? Questions in regional politics
Globalization: effects on gender relations
Islamic law between the universal and the particular
Political Islam in changing environments
Issues in the Middle East peace process
Muslim Intellectuals: 20th Century Self-Images of Muslim Intellectuals
Fifth Nordic conference: Lund, Sweden, 25-28.10.2001
The Middle East: Interpreting the past