The fourth Nordic Conference on Middle Eastern studies
The Middle East in a Globalizing World
Oslo, 13-16 August 1998
Cultural and political identity in the era of globalization
- Simten Cosar, Istanbul: 'Globality and Modernity: Is There a Trade-Off? - Turkish Intellectuals in Perspective'
- Tone Danielsen, Oslo: 'Turistenes Syria: Hvordan det globale gjøres lokalt i Syria'.
- Rania Maktabi, Oslo: 'Tune in Religion, Turn on Pluralism, Drop out Citizenship? Membership and Political Participation in Jordan, Kuwait and Lebanon'.
- Roberta Micallef, Uppsala: 'Images of the Turk and other in the Turkish epics, myths and heoric tales'.
- Sarah Shields, University of North Carolina: 'Imaginary Communities: Assigning Nationalisms in Iraq and Syria'.
- Harald Skogseid, Bodø: 'The Kurdish Diaspora. Environment and construction of social identity in the Middle East and in Europe'.
- Maria Zennaro, Copenhagen: 'Contesting Youth: Crossing the National and Sectarian Divide in Ras Beirut, Lebanon'.
- Charlotta Zettervall, Lund: 'Trends in the Kurdish Nationalist Movements in the 1990s'.
Media revolution: The Middle East culturally globalized?
Towards a global vision of Islam: New formulations in the Diaspora
Socio-economic aspects of globalisation
Who is shaping the Middle East? Questions in regional politics
Globalization: effects on gender relations
- Karin Ask, Bergen: 'Gender differentiated assistance during Islamisation. An analysis of the case of Afghanistan'.
- Susanne Dahlgren, Helsinki: 'Traditions and modernities in Aden (Yemen). On studying complex Middle Eastern societies'.
- Signe Gilen, Oslo: 'Utforming av kjønnsidentitet under den palestinske motstandskampen. En studie av kjønn og nasjonalisme'.
- Maryam Habibian, New York: 'Under Wraps on the Stage: Iranian Women in the Performing Arts in post-revolutionary Iran'.
- Kari Karamé, Oslo: 'Women, Work and Globalization'.
- Catharina Raudvere, Lund: 'Women and Globalization: possibilities and limitations'.
- Zeinab Shahin, Cairo: 'Globalization, the social fund for development in Egypt and gender relations'
- Jonas Svensson, Lund: 'Globalization and the "Islamization" of Women's Human Rights'.
- Thomas Michael Walle, Oslo: '"As good as a man can be": some thoughts on love, marriage and masculinity'.
Islamic law between the universal and the particular
Political Islam in changing environments
Post-colonial politics in the Maghreb
- David Hogstad, Oslo: 'Global institutions and ideologies in Moroccan student politics: some real hermeneutic problems'.
- Kirsi Virtanen, Tampere: 'Decolonization as a globalizing impetus. Construction of Algerian national identity through the exclusion and inclusion of colonial experience'.
Issues in the Middle East peace process
Literary interaction with the West: past and present
- Bo Holmberg, Lund: 'Sulayman al-Bustanięs Arabic translation of the Iliad'.
Muslim Intellectuals: 20th Century Self-Images of Muslim Intellectuals
Responsible for this Web page is
Knut S. Vikør.